Ramananda College is a pioneering higher-educational institution located at Bishnupur, within the district of Bankura. It is the sole co-educational Degree College with PG courses recognized by the UGC within Bishnupur town. Since its inception in 1945, this institution has been serving the cause of higher education in the local community and also of students from far-away, remote villages. Even today students from other districts are studying here.
Sri Ramnalini Chakraborty, freedom-fighter and social worker of Bishnupur, Sri Radhagobinda Roy, founder-principal of this college and ex-minister, Govt. of West Bengal and other eminent community members of Bishnupur decided to establish this college here. Sri Ramnalini Chakraborty, the Koley family, Sri Anil Kumar Bhattacharya, members of the Friends’ Union Club and the community maximally funded the costs for building this college. The college is named after the son of the soil, Sri Ramananda Chattopadhyay (1865-1943), journalist, editor and scholar who was active during the Bengal Renaissance.
Initially the college was affiliated to the University of Calcutta, and later to the University of Burdwan and now under the affiliation of the Bankura University since 1st January, 2017. The college is recognized by the UGC under Sections 2F and 12B. As the college was established before Independence, it predates both the creations of the UGC and the University of Burdwan. In 2015, the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) re-accredited (2nd cycle) the College with 2.75 score. Further, with the introduction of different Post Graduate Courses in Science and Humanities, the college has become a constituent college of the Bankura University. Now the college is complaint with the visions of RUSA.